Thursday, March 15, 2012

El Vez



 El Vez
121 S 13th St
Philadelphia, PA 19107

The atmosphere: dim lit, younger crowd, air filled with bustling conversation - not like that was a bad thing. I immediately noticed the illuminated motorcycle that was rotating near the bar area... so bright and shiny...

Service was great. Our server was definitely upbeat, knowledgeable, and helpful. We were always checked up on, so that's a plus.

Food was delish - whoever recommended the blood orange margarita and the guacamole appetizer - thank you!! They were awesome!

There are different types of guacamole to choose from, but I bet they're all tasty. Mister and I shared the Cesar Chavez guac, which also comes with a small side of salsa. Let me tell you, that appetizer was definitely meant to be shared! The portion was very generous... so generous, we could barely finish it.

We also had the red snapper ceviche. There were some bold flavors going on there, definitely unique. I personally wasn't too crazy about this appetizer, though.

For entrees, Mister ordered the carne asada with an extra side of asparagus. The steak had a spicy kick to it, which was interesting. The side of rice and cheese was different... it was like... mac and cheese... but instead of mac, there's rice!

I had the Enchalada Mixtas. When I ordered this, my eyes were bigger than my tummy.. so I struggled with it. The enchaladas were good... comes with one bean, one shrimp, and one chicken. I'm not a fan of beans (I know, shame on me), so I substituted the bean enchalada for another shrimp enchalada and was only able to finish 2 out of the 3. After awhile, though, the second shrimp enchalada was too overpowering - the sauce it came with was too sour/salty for me to finish it.

All in all, service was great and the food was tasty. I wouldn't mind stopping by to try out the rest of the menu!